Monday, August 03, 2009

 

Gyros Rock at George's Specialty Foods

For those who grew up in Fort Worth, George's Specialty Foods is no hidden secret. It has been a family run business since 1951. But for folks like FWJoey and me, we had no idea how much of a treat we were in for when we ventured to George's last Saturday. I had noticed George's advertisements in FWWeekly over the past few weeks and remember reading a review praising its Greek food items so we thought we would give it a try. After all, ever since the Parthenon closed, we haven't found a place to eat Greek food other than the annual Greek festival at St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church.

We started with a couple of generous sized dolmas ($1.50 each) which are grape leaves stuffed with rice and ground meat. These were delicious and did not have the overly pickled taste that those sold at Central Market have. These dolmas were the perfect way to wet our appetites.

FWJoey and I each ordered the gyro ($5.79) as our main entree. If I had to guess, I would say there was about a pound of lamb meat stuffed in the perfectly warm pita bread topped with a refreshing tsatsiki. The tsatsiki, which is a mixture of yogurt, cucumbers and garlic, is one of my favortite parts of any greek meal and this one did not disappoint.

FWJoey and I also shared an order of the spanakopita ($4.50) which is a phyllo pastry
stuffed with a filling of chopped spinach, feta cheese, onions and other spices. We thoroughly enjoyed the spanakopita, but certainly did not need it since the gyro was so filling. Next time, I will probably skip it.

Another food item I'll probably skip on my next visit is the baklava ($1.75). I thought it left an unusual after taste. Skipping this dessert is fine by me since my belly will be full of dolmas, gyros and tsatsiki!

For those who don't care for lamb meat, rumor has it that the Submarine sandwich is killer. One of my friends who grew up in Fort Worth said he thinks he has eaten at George's over 2,000 times and the Submarine is his favorite. Also said to be yummy is the Greek turkey sandwich.

Lots of choices and lots to love at George's. If you need a Greek food companion, call me!

George's Specialty Foods
4424 White Settlement Rd (just west of Tres Joses)
Fort Worth, TX 76114-3801
(817) 737-0414
Open Tuesdays thru Saturday from 10a.m. - 4p.m.

Comments:
Are they cash only? Kind of a hole in the wall place? I think I've been there, but it's been years. To make matters worse, I've never been to Tres Jose's
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?