Saturday, August 23, 2008

 

Winslow's Wine Cafe: Not Really Lovin' It

After having dined at Winslow's Wine Cafe a couple of times, I think I have determined I like it, but don't love it.

Reasons why I like it... (1) Atmosphere is great! Better than many places in Fort Worth. The space is small so it gets crowded, but still has a good vibe. Once temperature drops, the cool patio will offer more space. (2) Food is good and reasonably priced. On our first visit FWJoey and I shared the very tasty roasted yellow tomato soup ($7) and the chicken pesto pizza ($13). We enjoyed the pizza but noticed the couple next to us enjoying their pizza even more - they had ordered the Jim Bowie which contains BBQ chicken, cheddar cheese, onions, tomatoes and jalapenos. We made a mental note to try the Jim Bowie next time. I have also had the summer gnocchi ($14) which appears to be a seasonal dish. I enjoyed the flavors and ingredients of the dish which included gnocchi pasta, pine nuts, zucchini, summer squash and extra virgin olive oil, but the gnocchi seemed like it was more firm that it should have been.. I haven't eaten alot of gnocchi in my days so I am not really sure how it needs to be prepared, but this gnocchi's texture was vastly different than the gnocchi I have enjoyed at Taverna. I still liked the dish though and would probably order it again if I were dining with someone who did not want to share a pizza.

Reasons why I don't love it... Unimpressive Management. On both visits, there seemed to be confusion and disorganization in the hostess area. Since this is your first impression of the restaurant, it does not make a good one. First visit, I chalked the confusion up to being a new restaurant. But my second visit was last week and the place has been open long enough to know how to prepare and implement and wait list.

After a very long wait to be seated for dinner, I noticed the manager seating a couple that had come in after FWBrooke and me. The hostess noticed it too and came over to the bar to apologize to us. She said the manager did not realize people were on a wait list so he did not realize we were the next couple who should have been seated. I am sorry, but it should have been obvious that there was a wait list due to the number of people lingering around the hostess area waiting to be seated. Not to mention the fact that Winslow's doesn't take reservations. I asked the hostess if the manager was aware of what he had done and she assured me that he was and that we would be seated for dinner next. I would have certainly let this seating mistake slide if the manager had been respectful enough to come over and apologize for his mistake. He did not do so. He knew we were unhappy and failed to come speak with us. Huge management mistake. Others I know have had negative experiences with the management at Winslow's.

Second reason I don't love is Winslow's is because you cannot purchase the wines from their retail store (which is located in the front of the restaurant) to consume at their restaurant. They won't let you. They sell one of my favorite Napa merlots, Parcel 41, in the retail store for about $22 (it is four dollars less at Central Market which is where I will continue to buy it), but it is not an available option to enjoy with a dinner at Winslow's. That is just plain dumb.

Winslow’s Wine Cafe , 4101 Camp Bowie Blvd., Fort Worth
817-546-6843
Hours: 4-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 4-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday

http://www.winslowswinecafe.com/


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?