Sunday, February 04, 2007

 

Gloria's: Beautifully Bland

I have been to Fort Worth's new Gloria's restaurant a handful of times and the best thing I have to say about it is it's interior is beautiful and I enjoy the two dips (fresh salsa and black bean) that they serve with their cripsy tortilla chips. Other than that...I find Gloria's to be forgettable. I really, really want to like Gloria's because I love the new Montgomery Ward Plaza area and I want to support the businesses in it, but unfortunately, there is not much to love when it comes to bland food. Not to mention a manager who apparently did not go to "How to be a friendly manager" school. On more than one occasion, I have walked into Gloria's and the same manager has been standing at the host stand. He does not acknowledge the patrons as they enter the restaurant. No "Hello, welcome to Gloria's." He doesn't even make eye contact. Then, at the end of the meal, when you leave, he does not even say thank you. Even when you walk right by him. This is rude and does not encourage me to revisit.

On a recent visit, FWJoey had the ground beef chile relleno with a cheese enchalada ($11.95). He was unimpressed and won't be ordering it again. There was nothing wrong with the food, but there was also nothing unique about it. It was just a large plate full of food that tasted like the same ol' Mexican food you can get just about anywhere. I ordered the combo #2 ($10.95) which included a spinich and chicken quesadilla, chicken tostada, and beef enchalada. The overwhelming flavor of the spinich and chicken quesadilla was wilted spinich. I did not even finish it because it was not enjoyable. The tostada - boring and the beef enchalada tasted good and contained alot of beef, but again, nothing unique about it.

By the end of our $27.00 lunch (not including tip), FWJoey and I were sorry we had come to Gloria's for lunch. We felt like we had just wasted an hour of our day.

Perhaps the Salvadorian food is not as bland as the Mexican food. It is possible that we have not tried the right things at Gloria's. I remember the first few times I went to Rio Mambo (6125 SW Loop 820), I was not all that impressed by the food. It was not until I tried a couple of their house favorites such as the talapia ole or the tacos camerones that I agreed with other Rio Mambo lovers that Rio Mambo has excellent food!

On a more positive note, Gloria's does have good happy hour specials lasting all day Monday - Thursday. Mojitos and various margaritas start at only $3.00. Along with happy hour drinks, try some plantains! They are great! Gloria's also has a good brunch menu and there is live music and salsa dancing on the weekends. There may be reasons, such as a craving for yummy plantains or a desire to go have a mojito at the lovely bar, that a trip to Gloria's might be worth going....but the mexican food, is not one of those reasons.

Comments:
I have experienced some issues with the service at Gloria's, such as going a whole meal without a refill on water and blatant mistakes by waiters with drink orders. However, my impression and experience with the food has been markedly different. I was thoroughly disappointed with the Salvadorian food, namely the plantains. The explanation for this is likely just a difference in taste and preference. However, my favorite entree and one that I have suggested to more than one dinner companion is "Combination #2." I especially like the spinach enchiladas and the rich queso they serve with them. The tostada is very enjoyable with the shredded chicken and fresh pico. The beef enchilada, to me, is on par with any enchilada in town.

FW Josh
 
The place is dull all-around
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?