Friday, April 14, 2006

 

The Covey: Go for the Beer

FW Joey and I tried this new restaurant for dinner the first week it opened. When we walked in, I immediately liked the place. The dining room is very spacious, open and bright. Very inviting, very comfortable, yet at the same time, very nice and somewhat elegant. Diners can choose to sit in the dining room (white table cloths) or the bar area (more casual). The same menu serves both dining areas. We sat in the main dining room and had a very enjoyable experience. our server was awesome and while the food did not knock my socks off....it was good.

We started with the smoked salmon nachos ($9.50). The portion was small (and the price was high) but the flavor was above average. The appetizer consisted of five tortilla chips (yes, you read right....five) topped with goat cheese and smoked salmon with a very slight drizzle of sour cream. It left us wanting more!

Next, FWJoey and I shared the California Pizza ($11.50) and the Covey Filet ($24.95). The Califronia pizza was very disappointing because it was so bland. It is baked in a brick oven so my expectations were high. It was topped with sun dried tomatoes and pine nuts. Other pizzas served to fellow diners looked much tastier than the California. I am not giving up on the pizza at the Covey just yet. I will try another and hope it is better.

The Covey Filet was a great selection. It was bacon wrapped and cooked just the way we ordered it (medium rare). FWJoey enjoyed the mashed potatoes. I ate the asparagus, which were fine, but unmemorable.

For drinks, we started with an awesome beer flight which was a steal at only $3.00. It allowed us to sample the five beers that are brewed right there at the Covey. All of the beers were smooth and delicious. They were definitely the highlight of the visit. FWJoey preferred the stout and I liked the Amber Ale the best.

Other items that we saw served that looked extra yummy were the chicken and chorizo quesadilla and the stuffed mushrooms. I am looking forward to trying those on another visit!

I returned to the Covey during lunch today with my coworker, FWJosh. This visit was vastly different than my dinner visit with FWJoey. We were both very disappointed with everything we ordered.

We started with t cup of the "not so french" onion soup ($3.50). Well, it was "not so good" and I won't be getting it again. It was runny, not enough onions and the cheese stuck all over the spoon. Very annoying.

FWJosh ordered the southwestern grilled chicken wrap ($9.95). The description sounded MUCH better than the actual food item. The menu stated the wrap contained a "black bean spread". It should have said that the black bean spread was the main ingredient because it was overflowing with the stuff. I think FWJosh's actual word used to describe it was "horrible." Ouch! That's bad. Not only was the wrap bad, the chips were a bunch of crumbs.

I ordered the grilled portabello sandwich ($8.95). Much like the California pizza, it was bland. The mushrooms did not have much flavor. I was really looking forward to that sandwich and it was a huge let down. It was not "horrible" but it is an item I will never order again. I should have gotten the quesadillas.

Both lunch items were extremely overpriced for the quality of the food we received.

Bottom-Line: I really want to like the Covey because I like the atmosphere alot. I am not going to give up on the food, but I cannot say that I eagerly recommend anything we have tried - other than the beer!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?