Wednesday, March 22, 2006

 

Lonesome Dove is hard to beat!

My father, ARDad, came to visit last weekend so I wanted to take him somewhere wonderful for dinner. I quickly narrowed my choices to (1) Lonesome Dove and (2) Bonnell's because these are two of the best, if not the best, places in Fort Worth to enjoy a wonderful meal. I ended up choosing Lonesome Dove because the thought of its garlic stuffed tenderloin makes my mouth start watering excessively!

When we walked into the restaurant, I was happy to see a familiar face behind the bar...it was Brian (formerly of Blade's Chophouse). Brian and Bill (also formerly of Blade's) are the best bartenders in town so I knew I was going to start with a perfectly prepared dirty martini! Which I did. Dad opted for a glass of wine.

We started with the Wild Boar Ribs ($14) for an appetizer. I was worried they would be so messy that I would be annoyed, but I was pleasantly surpised. The meat was so tender and yummy that it came right off the bone with your fork. The dish is also served with some sort of special pickles that did not sound too impressive, but were yummy to eat. They complemented the boar ribs perfectly. The boar ribs were bursting with flavor. Our server informed us that the ribs are flash fried for 1-2 seconds prior to serving. That is probably what makes them so good!

We skipped the salad because I have tried both the caesar and the spring mix in the past and neither were memorable. At $10 for a salad, I would like it to blow me away. If it doesn't, I won't be getting it again.

For an entree, I highly recommend the garlic stuffed tenderloin ($33). It is the BEST thing on the menu. I have had the deer chops and the duck and while both were good, neither of them compare to the tenderloin. The tenderloin is the best steak in town and possibly one of the best in the state. ARDad ordered the duck and enjoyed every bite! Personally, I thought the sauce was a little too intense to eat throughout the entire meal, but it was great for a few bites. We shared the truffled mac & cheese ($12) side item which was wonderful. Instead of using traditional macaroni pasta, this cheesy side dish was made with orzo pasta. It was "gourmet" mac & cheese!

Lonesome Dove is a great place to take guests who appreciate fine Texas cuisine! If I had to choose a favorite in Fort Worth for steak - Lonesome Dove is the winner!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?